~

"To be strong in the end, you must fight from the beginning."

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Gluten Free And Me...

***Before reading this post please note that I strongly discourage anyone from doing or changing anything in their diets without first talking to their medical proffesional(s). I know my body but I do not know yours.***

     Just these past two weeks I decided I was going to try something. I stopped eating gluten. No I'm not a Celiac, nor do I have a gluten allergy or intolerance. And I'm definitely not self-diagnosing myself. My objective was to cut gluten from my diet for a little bit to see if it made a difference. And boy did it ever! I've already lost 8 pounds of the weight that I put on since I started on insulin. I feel much less tired and groggy and my concentration has improved tenfold. 

    I thought it was going to be really hard but I was pleasantly surprised. For those of you who don't know, gluten is a substance found in wheat, barley, rye and many other grains. Meaning it is present in pretty much all pasta, cookies, bread, baked goods etc.  But you would not believe the amount of gluten free options out there. I just found some gluten free perogies and taquitos that are positively scrumptious. Some of my favorite brands so far are Udi's and Glutino, which between them, have a massive variety of cereals, breads, bagels, granola bars, and even desserts. Panago Pizza even offers a gluten free crust now too.

    Both my parent's are in on this too. We have all read the book "Wheat Belly" by William Davis M.D. It talks about the numerous benefits there are to eliminating gluten, especially wheat, from your everyday diet. This can be really good for diabetics too because wheat can really make blood sugars spike.

So before anyone tells me that I should not be making this change unless I actually have to, I have been feeling so much better without this kind of food in my life. I am ensuring that I am not missing out on nutrients and I make sure to closely monitor my blood sugars. I have succeeded very well on a vegetarian diet for five years now and I can can definitely accomodate for this change in my life too.

Have a super Saturday!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment